Welcome to the HUT (House Under Truth) Challenge

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Psalm 3-5

When I'm studying God's Word one thing I always strive for is finding an application for us, here and now. Psalm 3 has David revealing his mindset in his troubles with his enemies and more specifically with his son Absalom. "Many were saying there is no help for him in God." But David trusted in God, he was able to sleep well at night "for the Lord sustained me." He was suffering consequences for his sins but God had not abandoned him and he knew it. When we become believers we too may have lingering consequences from past and present sins but God is faithful in his promise to "never leave us nor forsake us." In Psalm 4 I like the verses "be angry and do not sin. Meditate within your heart", "Be still". James also tells us "be slow to anger." It's okay to get angry as long as it's for a right reason and done in a right way and then quickly replaced with "stillness" and a not held onto. Psalm 5 has so much to offer but I'll choose my favorite, the first three verses. I read those and they give me comfort. First we are asking God to hear our words. Then it promises He will hear our voice "in the morning". And I love the conclusion, "In the morning I will direct it to you, And I will look up." It never ceases to amaze me how powerful God's Word is in such a short phrase. "And I will look up", fills me with emotion. I get the mental picture of we invite Him to hear us, He says I'm listening, and then we pray. . We look up. For me that feels like... Father I love you, I know you love me, I trust you completely...Amen.

1 comment: