Welcome to the HUT (House Under Truth) Challenge

2 Tim 3:16 All scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness.

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Wayyy behind! Matthew 8-10

I am doing some catch-up on my readings and I just read Matthew 8-10. I really feel the need to share a few of the home-hitting points that smacked me in the face from this reading. In this one case, I really hope you enjoy the face-smackin!

Illimitable faith, vehemence to share our certainty, fear of God alone, eternal salvation. Those are the steps that define a Christ-follower's life. It, of course, all starts with faith. The last part of Matthew 8:28 says: "Do you believe that I am able to do this?" Wow. What a simple question, yet such a deep significance. If we truly desire to follow the Lord, we have to be able to answer that question with an undoubtedly trenchant "yes" from the very depths of our heart. The Lord promises so much to those who follow His lead. All He asks of us is that we unequivocally believe that He is able. It is a choice. As easy as it may sound, it took me quite a while to finally dig up that question and truly believe that He is able. Once we can strongly affirm that statement in our lives, we are ready for the Lord to begin the process of living out His glory through us. There will not be many people who honestly believe that. "The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few." Our faith in Him gives us a peaceful hope through ineluctable mockery for the duration of our time on earth. "Be on your guard against men..." "All men will hate you because of me, but he who stands firm to the end will be saved." If the Lord is whom we affectingly believe, then that sounds like music to my ears. It will not be easy, but if we keep our eyes focused on the reward of eternity with the One whom we serve, what is there to fear? "Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in Hell." The Lord should be our unequaled fear. If He is not, do we truly believe the fundamental question of our so-called belief system (Do you believe that I am able?)? We can not be afraid to speak up for the truth by which we live that has saved us. "At that time, you will be given what to say, for it will not be you speaking, but the Spirit of your Father speaking through you." Who can say no to that? All we have to do is be willing vessels, zealous to share the endless grace that the Lord has in store for all of us. Not all will receive it because not all will listen and accept. Yes, some will mock, but that is their own eternal loss. When judgement day comes to pass, there will be many who will wish they had listened to the truth coming from the Holy Spirit via those who believe and live as such. All we are asked to do is follow those basic (yet, still quite difficult) steps: Faith, profess, fear the Lord. Once we define ourselves by the measure of those actions, we will receive the acceptance of our venerated Father. "Whoever acknowledges me before men, I will also acknowledge him before my Father in Heaven. But, whoever disowns me before men, I will disown him before my Father in Heaven." Do you believe that He is able?

3 comments:

  1. Matthew 8:28 is a great question. I'm going to add it to my repertoire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know God is able but sometimes I doubt myself...well alot actualy. I stuggle with my flesh in thinking that God can't work through me.

    ReplyDelete